Summer's coming for everyone. For some of us it is basically already here. School's going to be out soon. And it's just over a week to Memorial Day. The challenge for the business owner is that for some businesses this heralds a slow time when sales dip and it becomes a struggle to keep the doors open. While for others. this is the busy time - the precious few months to make most of the money for the year. Either way, the challenge is that you need to maximize your sales and find more customers. We've tried to include a good set of articles below to help you out. For those of you that haven't yet taken the jump into starting your own business, you can get started with our series on starting a business - the links to the three articles that make up part four (all about naming your business) are below and you can find the links to parts 1 through 3 in them.
- The Name Game: How to pick a business name that will be successful for years to come
- The Yahoo Smart and Simple Guide to Starting a Business: Part 4 - Naming your business
- The Yahoo Smart and Simple Guide to Starting a Business: Part 4 - Resources for Naming
And here are some of the best stories from the past week on Advisor - in no particular order.
- Startup Diaries: Content Marketing Strategy
- Would an Internet Sales Tax hurt you or get you new customers?
- Generation Y gives entrepreneurship a new definition
- Three ways to improve your business and chances of getting a business loan
- Kendra Scott: How a small business owner turned $500 into millions.
- Ecommerce success is natural for BulkApothecary.com
- An overlooked female customer demographic: PANKs
If you haven't taken the plunge yet, hopefully some of these articles give you the impetus to start your own business — and if you do, we have tools to help. Besides our domain name, web hosting and ecommerce products, we also have just added an innovative marketing dashboard that you can try for free even if you don't use our other products.
Some other great small business articles from around the web this week.
Sramana Mitra has been offering a great service to startups for a long time - a weekly roundtable where she critiques some pitches from startups and discusses the issues they raise. To celebrate the 175th roundtable she is giving a way a free e-book to attendees on Thursday, May 23, 2013, at 8 a.m. PDT/11 a.m. EDT/8:30 p.m. India IST You can learn more here: http://1mby1m.com/free-public-roundtables/ and register to pitch or attend here: http://strategyroundtable-may23.eventbrite.com/#
Melinda Emerson returns to an important and poorly understood topic - that email lists are much more important than social media in the real world.