More than four million businesses use QuickBooks to track and manage financial information, making it the world’s most popular accounting software. So if you’re looking for a job in Accounting, chances are that many prospective employers will expect applicants to have at least a basic knowledge of QuickBooks. Many businesses expect even more. David O’Brien, CEO of Real World Training Inc., says “When businesses are hiring people to help with accounting, QuickBooks Certified Users rise to the top of the call-back list. After you pass your certification exam, you’ll receive a certificate that proves to future employers that you posses the skills needed to use the full power of QuickBooks.”How To Become A Certified QuickBooks User
Benefits of QuickBooks Certification Training
With enough prior experience using QuickBooks, it is possible to study for the certification exam on your own using books and videos instead of structured coursework, but consider the benefits of formal comprehensive training:
- Knowledgeable instructors who can guide you through the material and highlight important information.
- Learn what you didn’t know you didn’t know.
- Learn how QuickBooks is used in other companies beyond your own personal experience.
- Access to accurate documentation about the software and practice exams.
- Proctored examinations that prove competency to employers.
How to Obtain Training and Certification
There are several ways to get QuickBooks training and only one Intuit endorsed QuickBooks user certification. Some training options include:
- Continuing Education Courses: Some colleges and universities offer QuickBooks continuing education classes. However, be careful to ask if the course offered is on the current version of QuickBooks software. Many colleges and universities offer QuickBooks courses based on prior QuickBooks versions sometimes 1 or 2 years older than the current version (version 2013’). Continuing education (CE) credits are not the same thing as QuickBooks user certification. CE credits show you have studied QuickBooks, while QuickBooks user certification shows you have demonstrated a proficient working knowledge of QuickBooks software. Also, these classes are usually spread over 2-3 months. If you aren’t in a hurry to become QuickBooks certified, then such classes may provide the foundation you need to pass the certification exam.
- Real World Training: Comprehensive, Intuit-endorsed QuickBooks training offered in a variety of formats: live classroom training, instructor-led online training, and self-paced training. The class cost includes a Certiport test voucher (worth $149) for the authorized certification exam. Live courses are also the fastest way to get up to speed with QuickBooks: courses can be completed within 2 days. Class cost varies according to format and the certificate is backed by Intuit and signed by Intuit’s founder Scott Cook. Real World Training authored the certified user exam and ensures that it’s training matches up with current certification requirements. Their certification program is also always up to date with the current version of QuickBooks software. The exam is proctored at authorized Certiport testing centers around the country.
- QuickBooks Certfied User classes and exams at accredited colleges and universities. Beyond just continuing education, some colleges provide a course curriculum intended to prepare people to pass the certified user exam. One example is this QuickBooks Exam Review & Certification offered by Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC. Such accredited colleges are authorized by Certiport to provide the proctored certification exam. Similar to CE courses, these classes usually take a full semester (2-3 months) to complete and aren’t the fastest way to become a QuickBooks certified user.
Carefully evaluate the programs before you register, because cost, timing, and quality vary widely.
Use the same care when you select a testing center. It would be unfortunate to complete a deeply discounted online training course, for example, and then discover the certification received is not backed by Intuit (the makers of QuickBooks software). Certiport offers authorized testing centers across the United States and worldwide, including countries as diverse as Ghana, Jamaica, and Taiwan.
Employers will have more confidence in certification that is earned by a proctored exam given by a trustworthy organization. Anybody can create and print their own certificate, so look for a training/testing provider that employers can easily contact to verify your certification.
Is Certification Really Worth It?
You bet. It’s a tough job market right now – particularly for recent college graduates or those who have been out of the work force for some time. Employers worry that these groups may require extensive training or have outdated skills.
But your QuickBooks User Certification proves otherwise and highlights your potential as a competent, productive employee. QuickBooks User certification won’t guarantee you job, but it may help move your resume to the top of the applicant pile and get you that essential face to face interview.
More Tech articles from Business 2 Community: