Have to live in household when working for a family business?

According to the town/state law in Kansas you have to live in the residence to work for the family business ( that's based out of the household) . Is there anyway around this law?
"Go with the flow"-- This is my real question. I live with my significant others parents because we all work together in the family business. We had to get paperwork from the town because the neighbor tried to claim we were not a legal business and that paperwork states we all have to live in the household to work for the business since it's out of the home.
"rtfm"-- Thank you! This is exactly what I'm talking about. That is the issue though, the neighbor hates the family and I know I wouldn't be able to get his signature on anything because he whines about every little thing that goes on over here. So I guess I'm screwed. Thanks for the answer.

1 year ago - 2 answers

Best Answer

Chosen by Asker

That's a town law, not a state law. It sounds like it has nothing to do with whether or not it's a "family" business, and everything to do with the fact that it's being run out of a home that's zoned residential instead of business.

The purpose of the law is to make sure someone running a business out of their home doesn't have traffic coming and going as employees who don't live at that address show up for work every day.

You'd have to talk to the nice people down at City Hall and see if they'd allow you a variance. I'm guessing they'd require signed statements from the neighbors saying that they won't object to your coming and going. That's how it would work in my small town, anyway.

1 year ago

Other Answers

No such law.
You can live 50 miles away and work for the family business.

Ask your real question, since I suspect it has to do with wages and taxes.

You could live in India and work for the family business.

by Go with the flow - 1 year ago