More than just your address on the ‘net, your domain name can also be one of your best forms of advertising. This is why it’s important to choose carefully when you buy your website domain name and register it.
Domain names serve a number of other key purposes.
For example, if you decide to move your site to another service provider, your customers would never know the difference with your new URL linked to your existing domain name.
With advantages such as these in mind, here’s the wise way to buy your website domain.
Have A Number of Options in Mind
Odds are that clever domain name you’ve come up with has already been thought of by someone else and registered. To save yourself some grief—and time—brainstorm several possibilities before you begin your search. That way, if your first choice is taken, you’ll have other ideas at the ready. This could save you from impulsively buying a domain name from someone at an exorbitant price because you had no other ready ideas.
Consider the Following Naming Tips
- Name choices should be both easy to type and easy to remember.
- Avoid slang, as popular culture changes over time and you could date yourself with a domain name like “awesome.com”.
- Exclude numbers so people don’t have to wonder if they should
spell “for” or use the digit “4” when you recite yourLet’s domain name aloud.
- Short is better than long (it’s easier to remember).
- Avoid buying a name too comparable to that of
another company (especially a more prominent one). You’ll send traffic to them
every time a user’s autocomplete defaults to the better-known spelling.
- Make sure you can also get the name on the social media sites inhabited by your ideal user.
- A .com extension is the best choice, but if you can’t get one, find an extension relevant to your business to help make your name more memorable (being careful not to violate rule six above).
Choosing a Registrar
Depending upon the nature of your site and its purpose, your best deal can be choosing a registrar offering a free website to go along with it. That way, you can get everything done in one fell swoop. Ideally, the registrar will offer features like domain locking to prevent the unauthorized transfer of your domain. Private registration will keep your name and contact information out of sight of crackpots. Other useful features to look for include DNS management and 24/7/365 customer support.
This is the wise way to buy your website domain. Another smart choice is using Yahoo Small Business to help you choose and register your domain name.
It’s fast, easy and inexpensive. Try it today