Success in life is not all about net worth, material goods, restoring bad credit, using title loans, or the number in your bank account. Yes, money is important, but it isn’t everything and simply getting more money is not going to make you happy or satisfied. When you have enough money to live comfortable, to be able to help others, and to bring value to your life, you will have made it. Here are some of the secrets:
1. Love what you do. Your work is your life. You spend more time at work than doing most any other single activity in your life. When choosing a career or looking for a new job, there are a lot of considerations to make, like salary. But, don’t forget to consider how much or how little you will enjoy your work. Choose work that is meaningful to you and that you can sink your teeth into and enjoy most days
2. Start saving now. Saving is the best piece of advice anyone can give regarding money. You will never build wealth or be comfortable with money if you have no savings. A mistake too many people make is putting off saving money. Whether you have debt or live paycheck to paycheck, it doesn’t matter. Start saving now, even if you can only afford to save a few dollars per month.
3. Make your money work for you. Another common money mistake is not investing your savings. Your money should do more than just sit there. Even if you only ever choose the most conservative of investment strategies, just do it. Money should always make more money.
4. People are always more important than things. Don’t get wrapped up in having more things. A luxury car, a bigger house, a designer purse; these things won’t make you happy. In all decisions in life, you should put people and relationships before things.
5. Don’t be afraid to borrow. Saving is important, but sometimes you need extra cash, which means you need to borrow. Don’t be afraid of quick loan source, like online loans, auto title loans, and other cash loans. These are valid ways to borrow money and you can turn to them in times of need without worrying about carrying too much debt. These are short term loans, so you can borrow, use as needed, and repay quickly to go back to being debt-free.
6. Take measured risks. Life is unpredictable, and in money and other areas of your life, taking risks can pay off. Taking risks in love, in your career, and in money decisions are important if you don’t want to be stagnant. However, your risk taking should be measured. Don’t always make risky decisions and when you do take a risk, make it a smart one. Don’t leap without looking. You won’t regret taking that new job, but you will probably regret not taking the risk and staying in your safe, but boring career.
7. Money should bring value to your life. Having more money, through savings or earnings, is about more than simply reaching a goal number or being able to buy expensive things. The reason to have more money is to add value to your life. Maybe having more money will allow you to travel to visit family or to work less so you can spend more time engaging in hobbies that are important to you.
8. Ask for a raise. If you don’t ask, you’ll never get it. Be smart about this, though. Do your research and find out what people in your field are typically paid. Also, come to the table armed with examples of what you do well and the value you add to the company.
9. Set goals and then work towards them. Goals are important. You will never achieve what you want to in life without actually setting goals. Write them out; share them with others to help you stay accountable; make a plan for meeting them; and adjust and update them as you go. Make goals for your finances, and for other areas of your life.
10. Share the wealth. Once you are secure in your finances, use your money to help others. Donate to charities that you like. Give money to support a friend or family member who is struggling. You could even start your own charity organization.
Life is complicated. Money is complicated. It takes time and experience to learn how to save, how to spend, and how to have a life that is meaningful and happy. These are my most important tips, the things I have learned over the years. Take them to heart and come up with your own rules for living.
This article was syndicated from Business 2 Community: Top 10 Tips For Money And Life
More Business & Finance articles from Business 2 Community: