On May 27, KPCB dropped their 196-page 2015 Internet Trends Report. It’s huge. And it’s smart. If you have the time, this is definitely on our BuzzPlant recommended reading list. If you don’t have the time to skim over the 196 pages, well, we’ve got the at-a-glance highlights for you. Without further ado, let’s dive in and discover the latest 2015 internet trends…
Population Penetration Is Up. Waaay Up.
In 1995, there were 35 million internet users, accounting for a tiny 0.6% of the world’s population. Today, there are 2.8 billion users, which means 38% of the world’s population is online.
Mobile population growth is even more incredible. While 1% of the world’s population had mobile access in ’95. Today, 73% of the world has mobile access.
Content Discovery Is Expanding Rapidly
A few weeks ago I blogged about content discovery in relation to Twitter and Facebook. KPCB shows a staggering increase in the evolution of content discovery. See the timeline below.
While the web has had tremendous impact on consumers, it has – by comparison – barely broken into education, healthcare, and government/regulation/policy thinking, according to KPCB.
Laptop/Desktop Usage Drops as Mobile Usage Soars
The average U.S. adult in 2015 is spending 5.6 hours a day with digital media. Compare that to 2008 when we spent less than half that amount of time with digital media.
New Ad Formats Are Optimized for Mobile
Between Vessel’s five-second ads, Pinterest’s cinematic pins, and Google’s local inventory ads, advertisers have a lot to be excited about. Micro-moments, hyper-local advertising, and creative video advertising are some of 2015’s biggest marketing trends. Also, Twitter, Facebook, and Google are all integrating ‘Buy’ buttons into their platforms in order to minimize friction at the moment of interest.
Video Goes Vertical
While our big screens are horizontal, an increasing amount of our time spent watching videos on mobile occurs in vertical orientation, which is changing the way content creators think about how and what they shoot.
User-Generated Content Continues To Explode
- User-shared/curated video is up 4x in 6 months on Facebook (4B views per day).
- User-generated live gaming/streaming has grown 122% year to year.
- User-shared/curated audio is up 2x over two years on Soundcloud (10MM creators).
- User-generated written content is up 140% year to year on Wattpad.
- User-generated reviews/feedback is up +140% Y/Y on Airbnb in the last 12 months (14MM new reviews)
- Social media users (especially on Twitter) are increasingly becoming the first source for news.
2015 Marketing Trend Takeaways
- Creators, influencers, and marketers have to pay attention to the 12-24 year old crowd, which remains the primary trendsetting and content creating crowd.
- Supporting content creation and user-generated content is essential for brands.
- Micro-moments will become increasingly important.
- “Just-in-time” services are growing rapidly.
Where you see the internet headed this year?
This article was syndicated from Business 2 Community: The 2015 Internet Trends Report Read By 1.7 Million
More Digital & Social articles from Business 2 Community: