Innovation has been around for centuries but it’s only the latter half of the 20th century that technology has rapidly progressed, which has allowed mankind to build structures of unparalleled craft and engineering prowess.
Exploring the most spectacular engineering projects of our time teaches us the sacrifice and hard work these symbols of determination and progress put forth. Here are 5 of just some of the greatest engineering projects man has ever created that completely changed our perspective over the world.
- The first is the International Space Station (ISS), which boasts the greatest construction of all time bringing together the design and work of over 100,000 individuals across 16 nations, and 4 continents. This fully functioning space research facility weighs an astounding 924,739 pounds and cost over 96 billion dollars.
- Next is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), which is the most expensive science experiment to date. The underground circular housing alone is 16.77 miles long and is powered by over 120 million watts per day.
- The tallest man-made object goes to the third runner up, the Milau Viaduct, the tallest bridge in the world. At a height of 1,122 feet it’s no wonder it weighs over 36,000 tons.
- Coming in at number 4 is the Three Gorges Dam, the world’s largest water conservation project in the world. This single dam accounts for 10% of China’s entire energy production and contains roughly 27.15 million cubic meters of cement.
- And last but not least is the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building. At 2,716.5 feet it towers the second tallest building by over 1,000 feet. And if that wasn’t impressive enough it also set a world record for vertically pumped concrete, just under 2,000 feet.
After reading up on this infographic from Americantrainco, there is no doubt it will leave you in awe of how and what we’re capable of when equipped with some tools and sheer ingenuity.
More Social articles from Business 2 Community: