One of the best sources of income
Every new development in technology brings with it new career opportunities and the field of mobile apps is no exception. If anything, it is one that expands at an exponential rate every day, with literally thousands of new mobile apps being created in such a period. Two other factors are working in favor of the person who wants to make his or her career out of designing mobile apps:
- The purposes which these apps serve are about as numerous as the apps themselves. For virtually everything that people do, from tracking their weight to keeping track of their school assignments to checking the weather to finding directions in a strange town or country, some budding entrepreneur or other has created an app that serves that purpose. If you have a mobile app idea of your own, chances are people will find it both useful and attractive.
- Mobile phones have become a widely popular way of surfing the Net. This is because their small size makes it possible to carry them around in the pocket and used anywhere, including places where even a laptop would be awkward to use. Some experts predict that by 2020, smartphones will overtake and eventually surpass PCs as the most popular means of web access. This rise in smartphone usage will naturally be accompanied by a rise in the use of apps designed for them.
The business is expanding
The figures all speak for themselves. Let us take a look at how various companies have developed their mobile app industries over the past few years.
- From 2010 to 2011, the number of mobile app developers working for the freelance writing website Elancers increased by 101 percent, or about twice as much as the increase in the number of jobs as a whole there.
- During the first quarter of 2013, job postings for Android developers increased by 302 percent while those for positions that involved working with iPhone went up by 220 percent.
- Sales of mobile apps for Apple Corporation totaled $1.78 billion in 2010 alone.
Economists are predicting, too, that app sales throughout the world will reach $4 billion before 2013 is through. The demand for app developers exceeds the supply, according to Elancing Marketing Vice President Ellen Pack, “because there simply aren’t enough great mobile developers out there.” This is even more good news for the person who wants a career in this burgeoning field.
Do you have what it takes?
As we have seen, there is no shortage of mobile app design jobs out there. However, if you want to establish yourself in this potentially high-paying career, then you will have to make some serious commitments.
Creating an app for a pocket device is quite different from other aspects of web design. You will not have the whole desktop to work with, nor is this job simply about reducing the scale or distributing content over more screens. It is a capacity to master new programming skills, more than anything else, than sets the committed app developer from the one who simply “does not get it,” and you want to be one who does.
More Tech articles from Business 2 Community:
- 10 Video Conferencing Questions Answered...
- Get Ahead of the Mobile Herd: 5 Best Practices for Mobile-Optimized Marketing
- Top Five Cloud-Based Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Will “Smart-Devices” Change the Face of SEO As We Know It?
- Leverage Cloud Contact Center for Personal Communications in Financial Services