Microsoft, which officially announced the Lumia Denim updates for users of Lumia smartphones across the world, at the IFA 2014 in Berlin, has now released a list of enhancements that users can expect with the Lumia-specific upgrade.
The Redmond-based company also released the Lumia 830 smartphone at the IFA 2014 running the Lumia Denim update.
To run the Lumia Denim enhancements, users of Lumia smartphones need to run the Windows Phone 8.1 operating platform. Here is a full list of enhancements that Lumia users across the world can expect with the Lumia Denim update:
Lumia Denim brings with it Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 OS upgrade, with the following features:
- Cortana – Microsoft's personal digital assistant (PDA) is certainly the most expected feature with the Lumia Denim update. The digital assistant had earlier reached Windows Phone 8.1 users in the United States, and to users of a few other countries like India, Australia and Canada with the Lumia Cyan update. Cortana brings along features such as improved natural language, car kit integration via Bluetooth for contacts, snooze reminders and calendar improvements.
- Live folders –With this feature, users can create new folders by just dragging and dropping Live Tiles on top of each other, similar to how folders are created in Apple's iOS platform. Each folder can be renamed by tapping on the text field above the open folder.
- Apps corner –A customised Start screen, where only specific apps or games are accessible can be created. This could be particularly useful for employers who have issued Windows Phones to employees.
- SMS merge and forwarding – This feature allows users to select individual text messages to either delete them out of a messaging thread, or to copy and paste them into a new message in order to forward them.
- Snooze Times – Snooze Time within the alarm application can be customised.
- Consumer VPN –Privacy and security is ensured when using data while connected to public Wi-Fi hotspots or even with a home Wi-Fi.
- Mobile Web Site improvements in IE – Users should notice comparatively faster download speeds and improved browsing experience within Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) web browser.
- Store Live Tile (US only) – The Store Live Tile displays featured apps and games that are the most popular in the store, and also sorts games by user relevance.
- Lumia Camera – Replacing the Nokia Camera, the Lumia Camera is said to be comparatively faster and intuitive.
- Speed – Pocket to capture speeds are now said to be faster, and it only takes milliseconds going from shot to shot.
- Moment Capture – A long press of the camera button starts 4K-quality video recording at 24 FPS. With each frame at 8.3 megapixels, individual frames can be saved as high-quality images.
- Rich Capture – Auto HDR and Dynamic Flash are now welcomed into the already-impressive feature set. Users can shoot first and adjust the camera settings later.
- Improved image processing algorithms – Updated to ensure comparatively clearer photos, even in low light.
- "Hey Cortana" Voice Activation -. Simply say "Hey Cortana" while the phone is idle and Cortana will activate. This is possible thanks to the SensorCore technology.
- Glance Screen – Compatible Lumia devices can now show more at a glance with Bing Weather, or Bing Health & Fitness data, in addition to time and date notifications and application data.
According to Microsoft, Lumia Denim will start official rollout from Q4 2014. Devices such as Lumia 730, Lumia 730 dual-SIM variant, Lumia 735, and the Lumia 830 incorporate Lumia Denim by default.