I was right there along side millions of other TV viewers who got to experience the train wreck that was Miley Cyrus performing at the MTV Awards. But was it really a train wreck? At the time it was interesting to say the least… but as an online marketer and branding expert, I knew it was all about controversy and sales in the end.
Let’s first recap on what Miley did…
- Rebranded herself from Hannah Montana to the grown up bad girl
- Shocked the world with her crazy dancing and performance
- Got everyone in media talking about her for the next several days
Oh yea… there’s one other thing too…
SHE MADE A TON OF MONEY, SOLD ALBUMS AND GOT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN FREE PUBLICITY IN THE PROCESS!
Any award show or live event that is being performed across a major network is always a great platform to gain instant publicity. Why be normal and give a regular performance when you can shock the world and get everyone talking about your name and brand… especially when you have a new music album being released at the same time.
The Massive Branding Power of Miley Cyrus
And yes… there was a massive amount of attention that was gained from Miley’s performance. Forbes reports…
And if that wasn’t enough, her twerking episode also lined her pocketbook with cash and grew her social media presence. According to Forbes Beat Reporter, Zack O’Malley Greenburg, since the racy performance, Cyrus has sold 90,000 digital downloads of her new track “Wrecking,” which moved into the 13th spot in the Billboard charts. Her Twitter activity rose 112% from the previous week. She added 226,273 new Facebook fans and 213,104 new Twitter followers.
According to CelebrityNetworth Miley Cyrus has an estimated value of around $150 million. The important thing to note here is that Miley got the attention, re-branding, social following and exposure that money simply can not buy.
Miley Cyrus… train wreck of a celebrity-singer gone bad… or marketing genius?
More Business articles from Business 2 Community:
- How To Measure the Effectiveness Of Your B2B Online Marketing Program
- Global Marketing Campaigns: Is Your Approach Personalized for Each Locale?
- How To Select a CMS, COS or Marketing Automation Software
- Developing Your Personal Brand for Career Success
- CrowdFlik: Crowdsource Your Visual Content Marketing