Hate Your Job? Try This Instead…
When we don’t know who to hate,
we hate ourselves.
If you are feeling like a lot of people, you may be unhappy or dissatisfied with your job. Eventually, you may find a job that you love, but what do you do in the mean time? How can you do your work and do it well if you are lacking in motivation and fulfillment? You may often hear about people quitting a job that they are unhappy with before they have another position. Sometimes this works out, but it is a very risky move. In our current economy, this is especially perilous. So, in most cases, it is best to tough it out until you can find something better.
Here are a few strategies to make the best of your work situation:
1. Continue at your current job, but spend your free time learning the skills you will need to find work you love. Everyone finds a way to waste time. Therefore, we all have more free time than we realize. Think about what you could accomplish if you used most of your free time to work on changing your situation. Perhaps you should consider going back to school and earn the credentials for a career that will bring you more enjoyment.
2. Find an activity you enjoy doing outside of work. Turn something besides work into the highlight of your day. Maybe there is an activity that you would love to do each day, so fit it into your schedule. It is important to have something to look forward to.
3. Be creative in completing the work your job requires. Maybe you need to shake up your routine at work. Use your creativity to accomplish your job tasks differently.
4. Use your breaks at work wisely. During your breaks, try reading positive affirmations or meditating. Both of these activities can help make your day more productive and enjoyable. Listening to music can also be a great way to lift your spirits. The day might pass more quickly if you utilize your breaks in a way that benefits you.
5. Make a list of all the reasons that you are grateful to have your current position. Remind yourself about all the good aspects of your job.
6. Focus on being great at your job. Instead of dwelling on your unhappiness at work, try making a real effort to excel at your job. With such positive intentions, you just might start to enjoy it. With more effort, you could get promoted, make more money, or even end up getting promoted to a different position you do love.
7. Avoid negative self-talk. You will only be successful at making yourself more miserable by focusing on the undesirable aspects of your job. When you catch yourself focusing on the negative, quickly replace those thoughts with more positive ones.
8. Establish friendships at work. Your job will be more enjoyable if you work with people you like. Reach out socially and make new friends. Spending the day with friends makes the workday pass by more quickly. In fact, we posted about that this morning over on www.BasicsMatter.com.
9. Participate in work activities. Many jobs have different activities that you can join. It might be a softball team or a group that gets together to play cards. Find something enjoyable to do through your workplace.
At some point, you may have a job in which you are terribly unhappy. Until you get to your dream job, use these tips to cope to make the best of your current situation. Until you get to your dream location, be smart, and get prepared!
This article was syndicated from Business 2 Community: Hate Your Job? Try This Instead…
More Business articles from Business 2 Community: