• FirefoxInstall the new Firefox »
    United States


    can an employer deduct wages from you if you are a 1099 independent contractor?
    I work for a company for about 2 years now under the 1099 independent contractor. and for two years the "boss" (if there is one since I am an independent contractor) has been deducting about $270.00 every week ... $170.00 if you didn't make any sales that week... I want know can he legally do that and if we are independent contractors are we suppose to have a work schedule? ( he makes us work 6 days a week about 10 - 12 hours a day) I would like some one to let me know what I can do please because up to date he has deducted about $22,880.00 over the two years. but when I receive my 1099 document it states that he paid me all. I would like to kno if there anyway to get all that money back? who do I talk to and what do I do etc... because if I don't do something now its just gonna continue and he has over 100 other independent contractors under his company and they are all being hit the same way , so any info please reply.
    a few seconds ago 9 Answers

    Best Answer

    Chosen by Asker
    check without your approval, except legal garnishments, and they certainly can not deduct taxes - at least in the United States. As independant contractors, you are not really covered, in most cases, by labor laws. You also need to check the agreement you have with your employer, to see if some kind off fees are being legally withheld. You should contact the labor department in the state you work in, or the federal labor department and ask them if you have some kind of case. Additionally, you might want to contact the IRS, because it may be that this company is not declaring all their income. It would be great to get more information about the income you have as well as the deductions, so we have a clearer picture of what sounds like a scam. It does sound like you have some kind of case, though, especially if this is happening to more than 100 people. You may be able to sue to get that money back.
    a few seconds ago

    Other Answers

    • you cant be a contractor and collect wages/have a worksite boss. pick one category or the other. sounds to me like you are not actually a contractor. form ss-8 is your friend; go look at one, and read the IRS instructions/info on its usage.

      by wg0z - 7 hours ago

    • What are the terms of your contract? That will tell you. Are you really an independent contractor or are you an employee who is being abused? You sound like the latter because a person you hires an independent contractor can't make them work any particular hours at all. Considering the number of people involved, you should contact your state labor department or the US Department of Labor Wage & Hour Division and explain what is going on because you may be entitled to overtime. Lots of overtime! You can also file IRS Form SS-8 to get your status clarified.

      by Max Hoopla - 7 hours ago

    • If you do not provide your employer with a W-9 form with your social security number or TIN and stating that you are not required by the IRS to have withholding, they are supposed to withhold an amount towards federal taxes (28% "backup withholding" for independent contractors). However, if they just keep the deducted money and do not report it on your 1099, you are being robbed (unless it is for something else, like union dues, medical insurance, etc.). For example see http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099gi/ar02.html#d0e1891 which is branched off of