My name was spelled wrong on a tax form and submitted to the IRS what should I do?

I had received a inheritance and my information was submitted to the internal revenue department on a Fiduciary Form 1041 Schedule K-!. The information was been provided to the IRS with the U.S Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts. When this information was submitted my name was spelled wrong and submitted under the correct social security number. Is this going to be a problem because I have something to submit with the correct spelling of my name on the same 2009 tax return. What happens when a name is not spelled right and submitted to the IRS? I noticed this was spelled wrong months ago and said something about it but it was never corrected now I hope I do not have a problem. Plus I cannot tell by this form how much I owe if anything.
I also wanted to add it was my first name that was spelled wrong when the K-1 form was submitted.

4 years ago - 5 answers

Best Answer

Chosen by Asker

they pay less attention to the name than they do the SS#
if that is correct, more than likely there will not be a problem
your K-1 shows you what is to be reported, most of them clearly define the line #'s and where you are to enter them on your 1040
inheritance is not taxable for federal, maybe the state you live in

4 years ago

Other Answers

Should be okay as long as social security number was right

by Ms.Franky - 4 years ago

As long as your SSN is correct you will be fine. My daughter uses a totally different last name on her work checks than on her SSN and there is never a problem. The numbers match. The addresses match. The IRS gets their share. All is good.

(She uses my (her) last name for school, work, banking, friends, etc. but Social Security still has her father's last name.)

by MoneyMonkey - 4 years ago

The first four letters of the name must match the SSN or the W-2 will bounce. Have your employer correct with a Form W-2C

by Max Hoopla - 4 years ago

As far as the IRS is concerned, its the first four letters of the last name that matter.

by John Scott - 4 years ago