• FirefoxInstall the new Firefox »
    Renting & Real Estate


    Do i have a lawsuit, my apartment is unlivable and i have kids Im being asked to leave?

    I have two children just recently my landlord asked us to leave because of complaining from the upstairs neighbors that my kids were to loud! My kids are 2 and 4 but my apartment is unfit I live in louisville kentucky and in the dead of winter both of my heaters were broke the fridge broke which wasted 4 gallons of milk in a week there are rats and holes in the floor and its a one bedroom there is four people in this apartment and one on the way and not to mention there is a leak right above the tv which increases a electrical hazard but i still gave him rent til this month What do I do?
    a few seconds ago 8 Answers

    Best Answer

    You move. You can sue for unlivable, but guess what that gets you? The right to move out. So, no matter how you want to look at it you are moving out. Why the hell would you want to fight to stay there?
    a few seconds ago

    Other Answers

    • It's not unlivable till a judge says it is. On the other hand, you don't have to leave until the legal process of eviction is finished. Why not make it easier on everyone and leave now?

      by Walama - 7 hours ago

    • I would move, your landlord obviously hasn't fulfilled his part of the deal, rats, holes, broken heaters, leaks! Think of your children and the unborn baby, move to somewhere more suitable. If you lived in the UK he (or she) would have to make the accommodation liveable but I do not know the rules where you live. Good luck.

      by x - 7 hours ago

    • I don't understand your question? Are you asking what to do so you might keep the apartment with the rat holes, the refrigerator that does not work, the heaters that do not work as well as water leaking on electrical equipment that might start an electrical fire. A law suit for what??? This should be a no brainier, your children deserve better. You should move immediately if not sooner,if not for your sake,but the sake of your children. Change is difficult, but in this case necessary. I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck. "FIGHT ON"

      by loanmasterone - 7 hours ago

    • If a place was "unlivable" and the landlord gave me an opening to break the lease I'd jump at it.

      by estielmo - 7 hours ago

    • Find a better apartment for your family. Agree with the landlord to move early if he or she will return your security deposit and help with the moving expenses. You can come out a real winner in this situation. Make sure the new place has heat, a working fridge, no pests and other families with kids.

      by Othniel - 7 hours ago

    • Move to a livable place.

      by stevepitt2 - 7 hours ago

    Recommended Articles

    Yahoo Small Business Services