• FirefoxInstall the new Firefox »


    My mom messed up my credit!!!!!!!!!?

    I turned 18 like two weeks ago and graduated with honors last month. All of my life, my mother has stolen money from my bank account (minors are legally obligated to own only joint accounts with a guardian). When she wasn't stealing from me, she had the audacity to force me to lend her money (or else). When I turned 18, I was finally able to take charge of my own financial matters. And I opened a bank account of my own. I decided to apply for a student credit card, and today I found out I was denied because of "current or past delinquency with creditors". When I was under 18, my mom took out a few credit cards in my name and was very irresponsible with it. But since I was a minor, I had no say. I have always been responsible with my money. I do not lie, cheat, or steal. I just turned 18. My credit should have been CLEAN. This is not fair to me. What do I do now? How do I fix my credit?
    a few seconds ago 3 Answers

    Best Answer

    Minors cannot contract will businesses. You can let them know that you are a minor, but they will probably want to prosecute your mother.
    a few seconds ago

    Other Answers

    • Send a copy of your birth certificate and your social security card to the credit bureaus. you have to send it to all 3 separately. There will be the contact info on each of the websites (experian, transunion, and equifax). With a letter explaining that you were underage when these accounts were opened and these are not your accounts. Do you have a copy of your credit report? You will need to get one so you know what is on your record. Use www.annualcreditreport.com to get a free credit report. You are only allowed one free copy er year. This is a sample letter: To whom it may concern: I turned 18 on June 1, 2011 and received a copy of my credit report. I learned that credit had been taken on my social security number when I was a minor. I did not authorize these accounts and want them removed from my credit record. Attached is a copy of my credit report with the accounts that need to be removed (copy credit report and highlight accounts to be removed - probably everything that is one them). I have also included a copy of my birth certificate to prove my age and my social security card. I appreciate you resolving this matter quickly. Sincerely Name Address Telephone number ** Make sure you do not lose the copies of the letters you send to the credit bureaus and any letters you get back from them. I have heard that in some cases you need to file identity theft charges against the person who opened the false accounts. Hopefully that won't be an issue with you.

      by A Hunch - 16 hours ago

    • First thing to do is know the extent of the damage. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com You are allowed one free credit report a year, you'll be allowed to see what the 3 credit bureaus have as delinquent along with contact information. You can print those out and contact all the companies to find out your account or file numbers. To correct your credit score as fast as possible, you need to pay those accounts off because it will only leave your credit report 7 years after it has been paid. Meaning if there is a balance from say 2006 and you pay it off in 2011, it will still be on your credit report until 2018. Once you've paid off everything, keep records and you'll have to sue your mom for what you paid out. It's sad but my mom did the same thing, luckily it was only one delinquent charge.

      by GirlsDeadMonster - 16 hours ago

    Recommended Articles

    Yahoo Small Business Services