• FirefoxInstall the new Firefox »


    Can a creditor come to your place of employment?

    I am behind in full payments (I'm sending in less than the original agreement called for) because I had a reduction in hours and pay. They call me every day on my cell and call me once a day at work. My supervisor discovered they were calling me and I asked them to stop calling me because it was creating a problem. Then a few days ago someone showed up at my office and he kept talking to me and I told him he had to leave, I was going to get in trouble and I told him again not to call me at work because it upset my supervisor. He kept repeating himself and stayed for about 7 minutes. I told him that if I was fired because of this visit, I would seek legal counsel. Can a creditor come to ones place of employment and stay several minutes after being asked to leave? If he just wanted to drop off correspondence, that would have been fine, but he stayed after being told to leave three times.
    2 days ago 4 Answers

    Best Answer

    Chosen by Asker
    Is it the original creditor or a 3rd party collection agency? Original creditors do not have to follow the FDCPA but 3rd party agencies must (these are people hired to collect or who have purchased the debt). However most original creditors (in house collection departments) do follow the FDCPA. Under the FDCPA, they are NOT allowed to go to a place of employment except for the delivery of a "summons". They are not allowed to call you at work if they have been notified by your employer that calling is not allowed). You can read your rights under the FDCPA at the link I have provided as my source. Hope this helps answer your question.
    a few seconds ago

    Other Answers

    • Next time, if you ask someone to leave and they stay, after being asked once, call the police and have them arrested for trespassing. Also, send the collection agency a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, telling them them to stop calling you on the telephone and instead contact you only by mail.

      by StephenWeinstein - 6 hours ago

    • Absolutely not. What you need to do is immediately send a "cease and desist" letter to the creditor that they may not contact you in any fashion other than in writing and include that this person visited your place of employment. If for whatever reason he tries that stunt again, immediately have your supervisor ask him to leave and not come back. If he does show up again and you have submitted the cease and desist letter you may then seek legal counsel. Since you changed the terms of agreement by paying less, you need to deal with this asap, they'll want to collect in full if you don't, again I can't stress enough that you do this in writing.

      by Anjell - 6 hours ago

    Recommended Articles

    Yahoo Small Business Services