• FirefoxInstall the new Firefox »


    Can I cash a check written to me in my maiden name?

    I had to put down a deposit for a phone a year ago. I got married and had my name changed. I did change my name with the phone company but they sent me my refund check in my maiden name. Can I cash it? I have my original birth certificate and my marriage license. I really don't want to wait for them to send me a new check.
    a few seconds ago 18 Answers

    Best Answer

    Chosen by Asker
    No harm in going to your bank and asking. If you take some ID and your marriage license with you then there shouldn't be a problem. Especially as I'm sure they will have your maiden name in their records for your account somewhere.
    a few seconds ago

    Other Answers

    • take to your bank and sign your maiden name and your married name they should deposit it to your account.

      by ladystang - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes, you can. Sign it in your maiden name and then under that, sign your married name. Should not be a problem.

      by dg - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes you will be able to especially if you have a banking account where they know you just got married! You will have no problem!

      by KD - 39 minutes ago

    • you should be able to. !!

      by okay - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes. Endorse the check with your maiden name, and under that endorse it with your new married name.

      by Bibs - 39 minutes ago

    • I still have all my checks in my maiden name and haven't had a problem cashing them or using them......but I do also still have an old drivers licenses with my maiden name in it too.But 9 times out of 10 they don't even ask for it.....good luck!

      by Brandy - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes. Your best bet would be to just take it to your bank. You will be asked to endorse the check with your maiden name and then your married name. I had did business in my maiden name. The got married and did business in my married name. Then got divorced and went back to my maiden name. So I am very familiar with this process--lol

      by maamu - 39 minutes ago

    • It should not be a problem if you want to deposit it into your account. My father is always sending me checks for christmas or my birthday that have my maiden name on them, I have never had a problem depositing them.

      by MLE - 39 minutes ago

    • sure why not

      by clever1 - 39 minutes ago

    • yes aslong as you have identity confirming your maiden name

      by Jessie B - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes , you can cash it . Just go to your bank .

      by Jack B - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes you can cash it. Just sign it with your maiden name, and then sign again with your married name under it. No big deal.

      by Liz - 39 minutes ago

    • You should be able to - just endorse it with your maiden name as the middle name and your married name for the last name - it should work

      by goodkharma333 - 39 minutes ago

    • If you have anything proving what your maiden name was, then yes you can cash it.

      by Donna <>< - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes, but bring ID with you. If you can, go to a bank where they know you.

      by FreddyH - 39 minutes ago

    • Yes just keep a copy of your birth Certificate in case they ask for it but it shouldn't be a problem.

      by Minni - 39 minutes ago

    Recommended Articles

    Yahoo Small Business Services