5 Reasons You Need To Rethink Your MarketingWelcome to another edition of the “5 Reasons” blog series. This will be a weekly blog series, with a fresh post every Monday. Last week’s topic was “Five Reasons Your Last Marketing Test Failed”.
This Week’s Topic = Five Reasons You Need to Rethink Your Online Marketing
Online marketing is a broad term. And today, we’re going to take a broad look at the nature of online marketing and how it’s changed over the last couple of years, because those changes are happening fast and it’s on each and every one of us to keep up.
- The landscape has changed. There are more companies spending more money to compete for the same number of eyeballs (more or less depending on your industry). Costs are rising because of this increased competition. So what worked three years ago won’t necessarily work today. At the same time, new opportunities have arisen which did not exist three years ago.
- The customer has changed. The way people use the internet is changing rapidly and marketers need to keep up. Searchers are getting more specific, using mobile devices, asking for recommendations from friends in various social networks, and getting more savvy about shopping for deals.
- You’re missing out in social. The social marketing landscape has slowly become more defined. There are best practices that exist now that didn’t only a year ago. If you’re not participating in social networks you’re letting your competition get an easy leg up.
- You’re missing out in mobile. More consumers are shopping and buying on mobile devices. As the prevalence of smart phones and tablets grows, so too does the trust users have for the mobile internet. More traffic is shifting there. Google predicts that by year end, 40% of searches will be done on a mobile device.
- You’re not taking a holistic approach. You can’t focus on ROI from any one channel anymore without evaluating how it affects the others. Paid traffic affects organic traffic and vice versa. And each paid channel lifts the other. Your marketing analysis should focus on total distribution of dollars across all platforms and find the right balance to bring in new customers efficiently.
As always, if you have your own landing page tips, please include them in the comments below.
More Business articles from Business 2 Community: