Yahoo! Site Guidelines
Yahoo! has established the following Guidelines to set forth the type of products and services that may be sold on the Yahoo! Small Business platform. All customers and users of the Yahoo! Small Business platform ("Yahoo! Merchants") who sell or promote products on their web sites or stores ("Yahoo! Site") must comply with these Guidelines, in addition to the Yahoo! Terms of Service, Yahoo! Small Business Consolidated Terms of Service, and any other applicable Yahoo! Small Business agreements. Additional rules for Yahoo! Sites may be posted at various places within Yahoo!, including Yahoo! Shopping. Note that you do not need to be subscribed to a Merchant Solutions plan to be subject to these Guidelines.
Yahoo!, in its sole discretion, may remove any product or service from the Yahoo! Site account that does not comply with these Guidelines or any other applicable agreement or terms and may suspend or terminate the Yahoo! Merchant's account (including Yahoo! ID and email). Yahoo! reserves the right to change these Guidelines at any time without notice. It is Your responsibility to check regularly for changes to the Guidelines.
If you see a product or service that violates our guidelines or terms, please let us know.
Yahoo! Small Business provides a platform for merchants to sell items online. Yahoo! Merchants are responsible for:
- * delivery of goods purchased from their Yahoo! Site.
- * resolution of any disputes that may arise from the sale of goods on their Yahoo! Site.
- * research and compliance with any and all applicable taxes, laws, regulations, or restrictions on items, or manner of sale or exchange that may pertain to transactions in which they participate.
Yahoo! Merchant Guidelines
Yahoo! Merchants must:
- 1. Comply with any and all applicable laws.
It is the responsibility of the Yahoo! Merchant to ensure that the items listed for sale on their Yahoo! Site are listed and sold in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations in location of both buyer and seller. You also may not offer for sale any item that violates Yahoo!'s policies as described in the Restricted and Prohibited Items Policy below. In addition, every item listed for sale on a Yahoo! Site must be consistent with Yahoo!'s policies, as determined in Yahoo!'s sole discretion. Yahoo! expressly reserves the right to, but has no duty to, reject or remove any item or listing at Yahoo!'s sole discretion.
- 2. Adhere to honest business practices.
You may not use or manipulate this service for any fraudulent activity or purpose, including but not limited to collecting payment from customers and not providing the item purchased.
- 3. Provide accurate store information.
You must accurately describe your store and the items you are selling. You may not include any language in your product or store descriptions, including the name, which may mislead potential customers.
- 4. Provide accurate contact information.
You must provide an accurate company address, phone number, email address, and return policy in the information section of your store.
- 6. Engage in ethical marketing practices.
Yahoo! Merchants must not engage in practices that are in any way connected with the transmission of "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," unsolicited advertising, or other unsolicited mass distribution of email. Please see the Yahoo! Small Business Consolidated Terms of Service for more information.
- 7. Refrain from posting any type of link to any third-party payment service or commerce web site
- 8. Use acceptable Yahoo! logos and language.
Yahoo! Small Business offers the following approved logos that may displayed in your online store: logos for stores and logos for web sites. No other logos are approved for use or display in Yahoo! Sites.
Prohibited and Restricted Items Policy
Yahoo! maintains this Prohibited and Restricted Items Policy ("Policy") to provide customers and users of the Yahoo! Small Business platform and Yahoo! services with rules and restrictions that apply to the types of products and services that may be sold or promoted using Yahoo! services. Yahoo! may amend this Policy from time to time with no notice to you by posting updates on this page. Your continued use of Yahoo! services will constitute acceptance of any changes or additions to the Policy.
You may not sell the following items under any circumstances:
- 1. Obscene material or child pornography; any item that is harmful to minors, obscene, or otherwise objectionable; or any item promoted in a sexually explicit or objectionable manner, as determined in Yahoo!'s sole discretion.
- 2. Weapons and related items, such as, but not limited to, firearms, firearm parts and magazines, ammunition, BB and pellet guns, tear gas, stun guns, switchblade knives, martial arts weapons, explosive devices, or any weapon designed for concealment. (Note: Yahoo! allows the posting of antique firearms made before 1898 and replicas of antique firearms that have matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar ignition systems, subject to removal in Yahoo!'s sole discretion. All other firearms are prohibited.)
- 3. Fireworks, explosives, or any hazardous material or restricted chemical.
- 4. Any item, software, technology, or service that violates the export, re-export, and import laws and regulations of the United States and other applicable countries. Specifically, but without limitation, you agree that you will not export to: 1) destinations subject to U.S. embargo and/or economic sanctions*; 2) parties identified on governmental export exclusion lists, including but not limited to the U.S. Denied Persons, Entity, and Specially Designated Nationals Lists; and 3) end users or for end uses that you know or have reason to know involve military, nuclear, missile, chemical, or biological weaponry activities.
*Countries subject to U.S. embargo and/or economic sanctions are: Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and Syria. This list is subject to change.You are responsible for complying with any updates and revisions that the U.S. Government makes to this list of prohibited export destinations.
- 5. Any item that has been the subject of a product recall by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, other government agency, or product manufacturer.
- 6. Any item that promotes, glorifies, or is directly associated with groups or individuals known principally for hateful or violent positions or acts, such as Nazis or the Ku Klux Klan. Official government-issue stamps and coins are not prohibited under this policy.
- 7. Any item that infringes the rights of a third party, including items that violate copyrights, trademarks, publicity, or privacy rights of third parties, including, but not limited to, unauthorized copies of software, music, video games, movies, photos, or other media; bootleg recordings of concerts, movies, or other performances; or item images and page content used without permission of the copyright holder).
- 8. Any item that is counterfeit or stolen, including items that are "replicas," "knockoffs," in the same "style" as, or "fake" versions of a name brand product; counterfeit, or for the purpose of producing counterfeit, currency, stamps, government identification; inauthentic sports collectibles, celebrity autographs, or otherwise inauthentic versions of memorabilia or other items with inauthentic signatures.
- 9. Any item used for gaining unauthorized entry to a place or vehicle, such as lock-picking devices or vehicle master keys.
- 10. Any item used for hacking, intercepting, jamming, descrambling, or otherwise obtaining unauthorized access to wire, electronic, or other types of communications.
- 11. Government-issued identification documents, whether authentic or counterfeit (such as fake IDs for age verification, fake government credentials, passports, green cards, birth certificates), police badges or insignia, and any other law-enforcement items (such as FBI identification cards, badges, uniforms, or flashing lights/sirens) generally restricted for sale under federal and state law.
- 12. Cigarettes.
- 13. Prescription drugs, illegal drugs, or drug paraphernalia.
- 14. Medical devices, including any medical device that requires fitting by a certified practitioner or licensed seller.
- 15. Human bodies, body parts, bodily fluids, including, but not limited to, cadavers, organs, "clean" urine for drug tests, sperm, eggs, blood, breast milk.
- 16. Any animal items that are subject to regulations or laws for the protection of live animals, including endangered species and domesticated animals, as well as any products made from or including any parts of an animal protected by law or regulation:
- 1.a. Any live animals, with the exception of (a) crustaceans and mollusks that are commonly used as food, and (b) insects that are commonly used to feed household pets.
- 2.b. Any item containing any part of any animal that is subject to a law or regulation for its conservation and protection, regardless of when the part was harvested or the item was made. Such animals include, but are not limited to, bears, domesticated animals (except livestock), marine mammals, migratory birds, and endangered species. (Please note: Authentic Alaska Native clothing and crafts made from marine mammal parts may be sold so long as (a) proper documentation is supplied to establish the item's authenticity, and (b) the item does not contain any ivory.).
- 3.c. Any item containing any part of a living or extinct animal that produces ivory, including, but not limited to, elephants, hippopotamuses, mammoths, walruses, and whales. (Please note: Items manufactured prior to 1900 that contained less than 5% ivory by volume or weight, whichever is greater, at the time of manufacture, may be sold if the date of the item's manufacture can be established with proper documentation.)
- 17. Stocks and securities.
- 18. Gambling items (such as lottery tickets, sweepstakes, pyramid schemes, grab bags, raffles, or slot machines).
- 19. Individual contracts, services, and any item that is nontransferable.
- 20. Any event tickets not sold in accordance with applicable state and local law. All event-ticket descriptions must contain the location of the event (venue, city, and state), date of the event, and face value of the ticket(s). IF the location of the event is in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, or Wisconsin, the merchant must also restrict sale to the face value of the ticket(s) and enter the face value of the ticket(s) as the item price. Yahoo! may restrict the sale to the face value of the ticket(s) and require that merchants enter the face value of the ticket(s) as the price for the item.
- 21. Non-packaged food items and other food or beverage items sold in a manner inconsistent with federal, state, or legal regulations.
- 22. Any used goods not appropriate for resale for safety, health, or other reasons, including any clothing items that have not been appropriately cleaned (such as used underwear).
- 23. Any other item that violates any applicable federal, state, or local law or regulation or which Yahoo! determines, in its sole discretion, is inappropriate for sale through the services provided by Yahoo!.
The sale of the following items may be restricted by certain applicable law. Yahoo! Merchants are required to provide satisfactory proof of compliance with all applicable laws immediately upon demand, in Yahoo!'s sole discretion.
- 1. Items generally considered adult content but not obscene or marketed in a manner that is sexually explicit or harmful to minors. Acceptable items may include lingerie and adult sex toys, subject to the prohibitions detailed in item 1 of the Prohibited Items list above.
- 2. Wine, spirits, beer, and other alcoholic beverages.
- 3. Hydroponic growing systems and other indoor growing supplies.
- 4. Expressive media, such as books and films, covering groups associated principally with hate or violence, provided they do not promote or glorify such groups, as determined by Yahoo! in its sole discretion.