Social curation is a somewhat newer trend in the social space. Tools like Storify allow users to crowd-source through public social postings — either during events, or on a daily basis — and allow you to publish those posts, formatted to flow like a story.
How to Use Storify as a Social Curation Tool
This takes storytelling to a whole new level with user generated content versus brand-owned content.
Common uses of Storify include:
- Collecting and recaping tweets during Twitter Chats
- Documenting live events as they happen, like the recent fires on the New Jersey Shore boardwalk, or the tragic events at the Washington Navy Yard
- Collecting responses to announcements
- Collecting news stories from various outlets
- Showcasing speaker quotes from conferences
Just like the platforms it pulls from, Storify is not without engagement features. In fact, stories can also be liked, commented on and embedded, encouraging sharing and open dialogue.
Storify co-founder Burt Herman, said, “People have used it to capture mentions about their products. People also use it to push things out there—to say, ‘Hey, tell us what you think about this, use this hashtag, we’ll use your best responses, and put them online.”
Watch Storify in action with the following examples:
- Fire Blazes Through Seaside Park, N.J. Boardwalk via The Weather Channel
- Twitter Files for IPO via CNBC
- Trending Topics + News via Dieste
- #INBOUND13 by Valentina Falcinelli
Storify allows users to search public updates across platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, YouTube, Flickr. Once you’ve decided which tweets to pull and showcase, you can add context by adding in your own commentary to guide the story. Even The White House uses Storify as a behind-the-scenes tool, and as a way to social disseminate information.
We tend to rest easy knowing that almost everything published in cyberspace lives there for eternity, but in case that’s not comforting enough, you can export stories as PDFs for archival.
I’m excited to see how Storify continues to grow, and how it impacts the way people collect and share social experiences.
More Business articles from Business 2 Community: