Its National Customer Service WeekCelebrate and Embrace Customer Service
National Customer Service Week is the first full week of October. I always ask, “Why just a week?” Shouldn’t we deliver and celebrate great customer service all year – year after year! How about National Customer Service EVERY Week.
Seriously, I recognize that National Customer Service Week was created to take a short time to emphasize customer service. Companies have pep-rallies and put up signs and posters. They do a lot. But what happens the other 51 weeks of the year? Hopefully more of the same. Maybe not as a celebration, but as a continued and consistent effort to amaze every customer every time.
This year, in honor of National Customer Service Week, I’ve pulled together twenty quick tips to deliver a better customer experience. Here they are:
- Manage first impressions. They set the tone.
- Manage last impressions. They create “lasting” impressions.
- Show up on time. Being late is a sign of disrespect to the people waiting.
- Always do your best.
- Smile. It’s better than a frown or an expression of apathy.
- Be accountable. Don’t blame others and accept responsibility.
- If a problem comes your way, you own it, even if it is not your department.
- Even if you own the problem, and you do have to pass it on to someone else, circle back with the customer to make sure it has been resolved.
- Show up early.
- Stay late.
- Do more than is expected.
- Under promise and over deliver.
- Be proactive.
- Build rapport.
- Aim for perfection, even if it is not a reality.
- If there is a problem, respond quickly.
- Return calls quickly.
- Care! Don’t just act like you care. Really care!
- Be enthusiastic.
- Always say, “Thank you.”
As a bonus, this list has been put into a SlideShare format that you are welcome to share with colleagues and use in a meeting. You can access it by clicking here.
Happy National Customer Service Week!
Note: More bonus material can be found on my YouTube Channel. There you will find daily tips that I’ve put up for this year’s celebration in addition to over 100 other videos that are all about customer service. Feel free to share them with your colleagues.
More Business articles from Business 2 Community:
- How to Know What To Write About: The Key to Successful Content Marketing
- How to Test the Viability of a Niche Marketing Without Wasting Valuable Time and Resources
- How to Turn Your Website into a Profit Center
- The 7 Things Every Business Leader Needs to Know About Their Website Design
- Hashtags Arrive in Google Search Results