Mobile Monday (on Tuesday!): Keep it Simple. Focus on a Single Call to Action
The key to designing stellar emails that resonate on mobile devices is simplicity. This applies to both the visual and verbal aspects of your message.
A lot of “noise”, like busy images, too much text, multiple calls to action, etc., will only overwhelm the reader. People don’t have the time or inclination to scroll through an overly detailed message to get to the point. And if the point of the email is not immediately apparent, they’ll delete it almost as soon as they open it.
So keep it simple. Create a single, irresistible call to action (CTA) and focus your design and messages around that. Keep the design clean, the content straightforward, and make that CTA unmistakable and very easy to act upon. And, maybe most importantly, tell your subscribers what’s in it for them. Why should they download your white paper or register for your event? Give them a concise list of the benefits they’ll receive when they respond to your call to action.
Some more tips:
- Position your CTA where the recipient will see it right away. Don’t make them scroll or hunt for it.
- Use a button rather than a link. On a mobile device, it’s easier for people to touch a button than to click a link.
- Use abundant white space to make your button stand out.
- Use an eye-catching, contrasting color for your button – but don’t make it too big. An oversized button can overwhelm a small smartphone screen and detract from your message.
- The text on your CTA button should be descriptive, rather than simply saying “Submit” or “Download now”. This small change can make a huge difference in your conversion rates. For example:
- Start my free trial
- Sign up (or Register) in 60 seconds
- Download my copy
- Grab my spot
- Book my seat
How will you apply the tips above in your next email? Let us know in the comments!
More Business articles from Business 2 Community: