Rockstar’s marketing budget seems to have paid off. Not only has Grand Theft Auto V generated more $1 billion in revenue, it has also set a new bar for entertainment sales altogether. Guinness World Records confirmed on Tuesday that GTA V has broken six sales world records, and a seventh for its trailer, since going on sale three weeks ago. Some of the enormous properties that GTA has now surpassed include Call of Duty, The Avengers and Avatar.
Although the game is set in an alternate reality Los Angeles, developer Rockstar North is based in Europe and Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief Craig Glenday said that ”GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we’re thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books. Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as [GTA V] has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won!”
Here is the full list of records broken by GTA V according to Guinness World Records:
1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
More from BGR: Why in the world did Samsung launch the Galaxy Round?
This article was originally published on BGR.com