The long, hot summer months are a tough time for us email marketers. While we spend countless hours hunched over hot keyboards attempting to drive leads and boost sales, our subscribers’ thoughts are elsewhere. They are dreaming of (or actually taking) vacations, enjoying time out with friends and family, sipping cold beers and heading out for ice cream. Unless you are selling swimsuits or air conditioning units, the summer months can be sluggish.
Six Tips to Drive Email Engagement This Summer
- Go Mobile: Your subscribers are probably out and about and enjoying the good weather, but that doesn’t mean they are not checking their emails regularly via their smartphones. Make sure any emails you send (and the websites you link to) are mobile friendly. Keep your campaigns short and to the point, and make sure any navigation is “fat finger” friendly.
- Impulse and Speed: If your business has a range of hot summer products, the promise of speedy delivery will encourage your subscribers to make impulse purchases in the knowledge that they will benefit from their newly bought items while the sun is still shinning. Free next-day delivery is a great driver of sales.
- Offer Cool Free Gifts: Drive subscribers into your brick-and-mortar stores with the offer of free gifts. A free ice cream for the kids or a cool drink might be just enough to entice people out of the sun and onto your premises.
- Hit the Right Spot: When engagement levels (opens, clicks, etc.) drop, it is more important than ever to ensure your campaigns are targeted, relevant and engaging. A “general” email might drive fairly decent results when subscribers are more actively engaged with their inboxes, but in the summer months, when there are numerous other distractions, you need to make sure you are on target.
- Hold Summer Sales: The sunshine isn’t going to last forever. Be sure to plan your summer sale to shift any remaining summer stock well before the Q4 rush kicks in.
- Perform Email Admin: If your subscribers just don’t bite during the summer months, why not take the time to get your admin done? The summer months are a great time to get your lists into shape, ensuring they are perfectly segmented and that any deadwood has been cut from them.
How do you keep your campaigns firing from all cylinders during the hot summer months? Share your comments below.
This post first appeared on the iContact Blog.
More Business articles from Business 2 Community: