As video conferencing technologies enable far-flung colleagues to join more business meetings, organizations can avoid spreading global meeting misery by following the advice of Krish Ramakrishnan, CEO of the cloud-based video collaboration service Blue Jeans Network. To benchmark meeting trends and technologies, Blue Jeans, which claims that its services save users 1 billion miles of travel and $600 million in travel-related costs in a year, surveyed more than 1 million Blue Jeans Network users in 177 countries.
Here are some key modern meeting trends that the Blue Jeans research picked up on, followed by Ramakrishnan's advice for hosting an effective meeting.
- An average business meeting lasts 45 minutes and has 4.3 participants
- Women attend 11 percent more meetings than men
- Fewer than half of meetings start on time
- CEOs, CTOs, and founders are more likely to be late to meetings than their underlings
- Midwest meetings are more likely to start on time than meetings on the East or West coast