- How to Kick Your Email Addiction Young Entrepreneur Council
How do I create a new website/new URL and keep my old URL's e-mail? (Yahoo Small Business)?
Currently I have a Yahoo Small Business account, where I host a website and have multiple e-mails for different people on staff.
My business is changing focus and my current website name is no longer relevant to what I want to do in the future. I plan on buying a new URL that is a better fit. However, I have many old e-mails sent to my Yahoo Small Business e-mail (oldurl.com) that I don't want to lose when I purchase a new URL and use that new name for my website. Here are my questions:
1. When people type in my old website address, how can I redirect them to the new URL? My old URL is purchased via register.com but the webpage content and e-mails are hosted on Yahoo Small Business. I have not yet purchased a new URL and can do that via register.com again or via Yahoo, whatever is best.
2. With a webpage redirect, I am concerned that I won't be able to simply go to "mail.oldurl.com" and expect to access my old e-mail archives that are in the old url's email accounts. I still need to access those in the future, don't want to lose them. How can I keep these old emails intact and accessible when I switch URLs and redirect visitors from the old website to the new one?
3. I assume I will have to purchase a second Yahoo Small Business account to host the new URL website and new URL's future e-mails, and still keep the old Yahoo Small Business account in order to maintain those old emails, correct?
Note I don't sell products, so there's no storefront or marketplace to worry about. Simply an informational website and old e-mails.
* I have two points of clarification after getting a very good response! Two points:
RESPONDENT COMMENT #1: - Downgrade from Yahoo! Web Hosting to Custom Mailbox or Business Mail (1 business email and up to 10, respectively) and forward oldurl.com to your new site.
CLARIFICATION FROM ASKER: By downgrading to Custom or Business, I won't lose any old e-mail messages, my inbox and old folders will still be the same as they are now? My e-mail folders have contracts and contacts I will still need to access even after getting my new URL and setting up my new web page.
RESPONDENT COMMENT #2: In either case above, you will still have access to your existing business email, and new mail will continue to arrive.
ASKER: How would we access old emails after redirecting? would mail.oldurl.com still work or would we have to go to yahoo's main page and drill down to a new mail login page?
Great question, and you've hit upon the key points with your questions:
1) Since you'll need to keep the Yahoo! Small Business account open for oldurl.com, there are two options:
- Downgrade from Yahoo! Web Hosting to Custom Mailbox or Business Mail (1 business email and up to 10, respectively) and forward oldurl.com to your new site.
- If you need more than 10 business email addresses, keep web hosting active for oldurl.com and use a PHP script to forward traffic to the new site. We have some more information at help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusi...
2) In either case above, you will still have access to your existing business email, and new mail will continue to arrive.
3) You are correct.
I hope this answers all of your questions. If you have any further concerns, feel free to get in touch with us. Just visit smallbusiness.yahoo.com/contactus/ for 24/7 support.
Source(s):5 months ago