Like any other product, healthy foods need to be marketed effectively using features and benefits. Eating healthy and being active is becoming even more important to individuals who want to improve their lifestyle. Adopting a healthy lifestyle makes your body stronger, your mind sharper, and gives you a sense of well-being. All is not rosy however; some health food brands do not convey their messages effectively to their target audience.
Promoting the benefits of healthy foods is one way to encourage customers to make healthier buying decisions despite a higher price point. Successfully communicating a product’s advantages supports the value perceived by consumers and will result in more purchases.
3 Features to Market Health Food Products More Effectively
It is important that this type of marketing clearly informs and educate consumers about all features the product offers and the benefits they are receiving. In other words, help the market to see the value in a product so that they see it as a great investment!
When marketing healthy food products, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Reep the benefits 3 Features to Market Health Food Products More Effectively
- Let customers know what they are getting before they buy the product
- State health facts and inform that if they buy a product they will get something in return (energy boost, high fiber/protein, antioxidants etc)
- State how the product will have a positive effect on wanting a healthy lifestyle. Example: The company Holy Crap has done an excellent job marketing their healthy breakfast cereals.
- If the cost of the product is close to a less-healthy product – use that as an advantage. Consumers will be happy to know that eating a healthy product didn’t cost much more than a non-healthy product.
- If the cost of the product is higher than a less-healthy product – use that as an advantage as well. State the benefits and nutritional value of the product compared to a product that doesn’t offer anything close to that.
Bang for your buck
- Make consumers aware that they are truly getting what they pay for. Nowadays, people are placing more value on good long-term health benefits and that translates into products that will provide them with good health as well.
- The more a product can offer consumers, the more value it will create and the more willing they will pay. For example, buying one product that offers triple the nutritional value (vitamins, protein, vegetables, fruits etc) and less fat/calories than 3 other non-healthy products combined that offer one of those nutritional items, is good value.
- Proper packaging is very important. People like convenience and making food easy to store in their fridges/kitchens, or being able to take a product with them as an on-the-go travel item. Years ago, who would have thought yogurt in a tube would be such a hit?
- Consumers like products that can last a longer period of time. It is important to market health food products as practical, convenient and accessible. This will make consumers’ lives much easier and also reinforces their purchase decision.
- Cater health food product marketing to address/fit the consumers needs and lifestyles.
What tactics have you used to market your healthy food products? Share in the comments below!
More Business articles from Business 2 Community: